Giverny and Auvers sur Oise Day Tour | Private Day Trip from Paris
Follow the steps of Monet and Van Gogh during this private Giverny & Auvers sur Oise tour from Paris. During this tour you will hear about the life of two of the best and most recognized painters in art history and you will also learn about the similarities and differences between these two famous artists.
Meet your driver-guide at your accommodation in the morning (either at your hotel or in front of your apartment's address in Paris only)
You will start your tour with a first stop at Giverny (actual population a little bit more than 500 people), a quaint village in Normandy where Monet lived 43 years, which is half of his life. Claude Monet started by renting, then when he could afford it, ended up purchasing the house then created his garden and the water garden.
During this private Giverny tour from Paris, you will :
- visit Monet's house in Giverny house where the Impressionist painter Claude Monet lived for 43 years
- see the waterlily studio, the Clos Normand (the flower garden) the water garden
- enjoy Monet's water lilies during the season, walk on the Japanese bridge and admire the water-lily pond
- discover Claude Monet's passion for Japanese art, his incredible collection of Japanese prints and its influence on his work
- visit the romanesque Sainte Ragedonde church and walk in the cemetery to stop in front of Monet's grave, where the painter is resting with most of his family
Your expert tour guide will recommend you a nice place for lunch giving you several food options (not included in our fee) in Giverny or nearby. Please make sure to let us know if you or/and your guests have food allergies.
In the afternoon, you will have a private Auvers sur Oise guided tour for you to discover where the Dutch post-impressionist Vincent Van Gogh spent the last weeks of his life in France, where he lived, worked and died:
- visit the charming village of Auvers sur Oise (actual population less than 7,000 people) which also owes its international reputation to landscape painters and impressionists such as Charles-François Daubigny, Paul Cezanne, Jean-Baptiste Corot and Camille Pissaro.
- walk by Dr Gachet's house (outside view)
- make a spiritual stop at Notre Dame of Auvers, the church immortalized by Van Gogh as described in a letter to Willmien (Wil), one of his three sisters
- guided visit of the Auberge Ravoux (inn) Van Gogh's last residence
- see the tiny room where Van Gogh died on July 29th, 1890 after 48 hours of agony
- recognize the wheat field painted by the artist (as remembered in "Green Wheat Fields, Auvers" and mostly in "Wheat Field with Crows" expressing his darkest premonitions in what is considered to be his last painting)
- finish the tour by visiting the cemetery where Vincent is buried next to his brother and confident Theo who died less than 6 months later; his remains were transferred next to Vincent in 1914.
When you book a tour with us, we guarantee the following:
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation (hotel or apartment) in Paris
- Private transportation in a luxury air conditioned van
- Private guided tours with licensed experts
- Entrance tickets for both sites (Monet's house in Giverny and Ravoux's inn)
What is not included:
- Meal and personal expenses
- Gratuities (not discretionary)
Tour duration : 9 hours from pick up to drop off
Recommended pick up time: 8:30am-9:00am
Please note that we only give private tours. We do not give shared/semi-private tours.
This Giverny and Auvers private tour is only available between April 1 and November 1, from Wednesday until Sunday (closed Mondays & Tuesdays).